Video is one of the best ways to communicate. In this article we will give you some advice about how to make easy videos.
Why are videos relevant in a website?
I think we speak for most people when we say that people in general prefer to watch a video than read. When it comes to the choice between a video and an article, the video usually wins. And why is that? Because videos require less effort from the part of the person who is watching them and don't take as long as the article takes to read. So, to follow the trend and gain traffic try to add this type of content to your website. Find out more about driving traffic to your website in our article
The goals you should set for your videos
Before you make a video, you need to decide which one of these three goals you will set for it:
- capture traffic to your website
- create a tutorial for a product/service
- sell your product/service
Once you've set your goal you will decide which type of video best fits it.
Different types of videos
Throughout the internet we can see three types of videos:
- Cheap and small production videos - They never aim to generate traffic to a website, but to complement the website articles, serve as tutorials, etc. So, for this type of videos, you must have content already . Find out how to write articles for the web here.
- Average productions videos - For these type of videos, you need to make an investment ranging from € 2,000 to € 5,000. Each video will take an average of 10 hours to be made and you will need to publish about 10 videos per month. However, in order for the investment to pay off, each video must have approximately 12,000 views.
- Big productions videos - These are videos that have a way of reaching the public totally different from the other two and in which the budgets much deeper pockets.
Big production videos
These kind of videos are, for example, the movies we watch on cinema, series, tv shows, and so on. Although they are very good videos, they have some disadvantages for those who are thinking about starting a business. First, they are really expensive and require a large investment in material so that the final result is no less than excellent. Then, you can't film everything inside, you also need outside spaces to shoot. The spaces need to be meticulously sought out and then reserved, which takes up a lot of time and sometimes, also money. Choosing the right actors is another crucial factor. The casting process is something that takes time, and spends lots of money. And finally, the professional editing, which can not be done by anyone, but by someone with qualifications for such. And it has to be a team, it can not be a lonely person. It also takes a lot of time. So, although it's the best kind of video that we can present to your target audience, it requires a very large stake from the startup.
Average production videos
These are also good videos but that don't need so much material and space. This type of content may already be the ideal for your business, however it still costs some money. First, you need to bet on lightning. If you don't have the necessary light to film it, it will not have good quality. Even if you do not have to invest in a lot of material, make sure that what you have is of good quality. You often still need more than one camera to this type of videos. And finally you need to choose wisely the room where the video will be recorded. You need to take into account some factors, such as the echo and some other acoustic aspects.
Example: The Random Show
Cheap and small production videos
These are the easiest of them all and we will focus a bit on these. There are three basic steps to create a cheap and small video:
- Screen capture
- Audio capture
Next, let's deepen in each of these three steps.
example: Article writing tool tutorial
The narrative you develop must be colloquial and really work well in a video scenario. Here at IdeaNinja we are used to work with Google Presentations because is easy and accessible to everyone. However, there are many others to choose from. To make the video more interesting, you can add icons to your presentation. In iconmonster, the icons are free and you can search exactly what you are looking for. If you want to add images check out our article. You also need to make sure you are making the screen capture in 16:9, or the image will be cutted.
After your narrative is written, it's important to have a chosen program to present the video's theme. To capture the presentation you create, there are many applications to capture the screen, for example Fraps, but we use one called Camstudio, which is free and very easy to use.
The audio in a video is very important, so you need to make sure it's well recorded. There are two types of setup to record audio for this kind of content You can use a USB sound board with a microphone or just connect a good microphone with an usb connection. To edit the sound you have lots of programs. We can recommend you Reaper if you have windows or Garageband if you have a MacOS.
This is the part that probably takes more time, however, if you choose an easy program to edit, it'll be faster. We will give you some quick tips to help you.
- Try to first measure the time of the audio, then making the screen capture,
- Split the audio and video in small pieces to make it easier to synchronize the two,
- Try to make the audio and the image sound natural and don't worry about silences, sometimes they are needed.
Depending on your editing level skill you can go from something as simple as movie maker or imovie to Avid media composer.
To conclude, it's important that you realize that videos are very important to startups, even if they only serve as a support for articles or as tutorials.
Here are some final remarks:
- Set goals to your video,
- Choose the kind of video that most fits your goal (big production videos, average production videos or cheap and small production videos),
- When it comes to cheap and small production videos, do not skip any of these steps: Narrative, screen capture, audio capture and edition.