Author: Miguel Teixeira
Tags: Content, article, SEO, website
So you want to write an article for the web. There are lots of specifics. We will explain how you should do it.
Writing for the web is different from writing for a magazine or newspaper, even though many of the same principles apply. You want to write as simple and plain as possible so that your reader can easily understand you. Add pictures to illustrate your point. There are new subjects you should look in as well, like:
- SEO (check out the article Basics of SEO),
- Directing to complementary articles.
Simple is a subjective term, so lets go in depth and create a structure you can work with:
- a Title - The title shouldn't have more than 8 words,
- a Lead - The lead should be a paragraph that answers the following questions: who, what, when, where and finally the how and why,
- and several paragraphs - Each paragraph should have between 3 and 5 sentences and no sentence should have more than 25 words, preferably under 20.
Pictures are worth a thousand words, so make sure to add some to illustrate your message. There are several ways to create visual impact to your customer so make sure you choose the best accordingly to your target interests, you can use images, graphs, pictures, images as links and so on. If you need pictures to use in your article, and don't know where to find them, check out our free pictures article, where you will find our personal top totally free pictures websites.
In the web readers do not read, they scan. So, adding elements to your article that can help your readers scan and find exactly what they are looking for is crucial. One idea per paragraph and one subtitle per paragraph is the best way to go.
The internet allows for continuous research, and so should you. Providing guidance for deeper research is very useful and your readers will thank you for it. Moreover you can link to other articles you have written and thus generate cross traffic within your articles. To have a deeper understanding on this topic read our article on How to drive traffic to your website - SEO
Besides of your normal sources of traffic, you can gain a lot if your article and your website are well placed in Google search. In order to maximize the chances of attracting traffic through Google, along with the above mentioned recommendations, you should also follow a few simple rules:
- Clearly identify which are your site and article keywords,
- Repeat those keywords, without abusing it (your website ranking may be penalized if Google thinks it's too much),
- Make sure your article has at least 350 words, ideally above 500,
- Have, at least, one link in every page,
- Have, at least, one picture in every page.
If you found this article useful, you can find a writing tool that we built to allow you to easily follow these rules. You should also read the article about the benefits of writing articles we thrive to give you good advices and tutorials on how to articles on how to improve or build your startup.To discuss any subject, please drop us a note in our contact us page.